Denise Goldberg's blog

An experience on two feet instead of two (bicycle) wheels
Denise's 2004 adventures in Hawaii

Monday, August 30, 2004

Dreaming...

What's different about this trip? Well, the first and biggest thing is that my mode of transportation will be a car instead of my body and my bike. I'm still planning on circling the island though; this will not be a sitting on the beach vacation.

My thoughts right now are to start with a day in Kona just to recover from my flight. I don't land there until 9 PM local time, which given the six hour time change makes it 3 AM in my time. My next stop will be Na'alehu and two nights at Macademia Meadows B&B. From there I'll wander to South Point to do some hiking, and maybe I'll spend some time at the beach. Next, on to Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park for a few days of wandering. Then I'll spend some time along the east side of the island before ending my stay with two days of rest and relaxation at the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel.


Ah... the Mauna Kea Beach Hotel has a wonderful beach for a bit of relaxation.


I have some reading to do between now and when I set foot on the island. Hawaii, The Big Island Revealed is a great guidebook from Wizard Publications that I used when I planned last year's trip. (You're right, I do like the name of the publisher!) It needs another reading.