Denise Goldberg's blog

An experience on two feet instead of two (bicycle) wheels
Denise's 2004 adventures in Hawaii

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Wandering to Na'alehu

Tonight I am in Na'alehu, which is about 70 miles from my starting point in Kona. And it took me about 4 hours to drive that distance. I must have thought I was traveling by bicycle. Seriously though, it's probably a good thing that this is a solo trip because I'd likely make someone else a little crazy with my habit of stopping every time I see something interesting.

I started the day with another good visit with my fellow guests at the Kona Tiki over breakfast, nice and relaxing. Then I decided to seek out an Internet cafe before I left town. It turns out that there are two in Kona within a block of each other. My first choice was the one with a primary business of web access. Unfortunately 9am was too early for them, so I headed to Lava Java - a hopping coffee shop with 3 computers for rent. That worked for me. I was able to update my blog with yesterday's writing. It will likely be a couple of days before I can upload any more blog entries, but I'm writing every day. I'll just need to upload a couple of day's entries at once.

I had been considering renting a kayak today to head to the Captain Cook Monument, but somehow it just didn't happen. If it had been possible to rent a boat on the water - as opposed to picking one up, transporting it to the water, using it, and then returning it. I had plenty to fill my time even without venturing out onto the surface of the ocean.

Along the course of the day I managed to drive down not one but two roads that were one lane wide. I have to say that is not my favorite type of road. The first one was the better of the two - it was hilly but not winding. The second road was definitely the worse. It was narrow, hilly, winding, and 5 miles long. It headed down to a jumping off point for a hike to a black and white sand beach. Unfortunately the road ended in a spot that looked a bit off as a safe location to leave the car. I opted to be a chicken and skipped that hike. Instead I headed back up the narrow winding road once again.

Pu'uhonua o Honaunau was a good spot to spend a bit of time.It's a National Historical Parkthat preserves a residence of the ali'i (royal chiefs). It was used for several centuries but was abandoned in 1819. Although the "buildings" on the site look old, they are actually reproductions. The stone wall that separates the royal grounds from the place of refuge was build about 1550 and is still standing. That's amazing.


Some of the permanent residents of Pu'uhonua o Honaunau


Hey - this bird actually let me take it's photo!


I have a small mystery on my mind. I'm used to seeing squirrels and chipmunks playing suicide games with cars. The silly animals here who are running across the road are different. They are long and skinny and close to the groung - but I have no idea what they are. Maybe I'll find out before I leave...

I'm staying at Macademia Meadows Farm B&B tonight and tomorrow night. It's a repeat visit for me, to a nice, very comfortable home with wonderful hosts. I must have spent close to an hour chatting with Charlene after I arrived. My room is a real winner too. I have a table and chairs plus a rocking lounge just outside of my door. Inside? The first space is the entryway which includes a small refrigerator and a microwave. The bedroom has both a comfortable bed at one end of the room, and a table and chairs in a bow window on the opposite side of the room. A small hallway leads to the bathroom. The only thing I have to remember on my (usual) middle of the night bathroom trips is that the toilet is on a raised section of flooring, can't forget that extra step up!

As I was heading down the hill toward the turnoff for South Point, the wind started howling. I could see it in the flowers along the side of the road, and when I pulled over and got out of the car I could feel it too. This is one very windy place...

Tomorrow the only plans I have are to head to South Point - the southernmost point of land in the United States - then to hike to the green sand beach. And I'll probably wander over to the black sand beach at Punalu'u.

Photos for today can be found in my Kona and the southwest coast photo gallery.