Denise Goldberg's blog

An experience on two feet instead of two (bicycle) wheels
Denise's 2004 adventures in Hawaii

Sunday, October 10, 2004

What do you mean you haven't read that guidebook yet?

It's hard to believe, but my trip is almost here. When I made my plane reservations back in April, October was a long way away. When I changed my plans at the end of August from a bike tour to wandering by foot (and car), the end of October still seemed like a long way away. The time has melted away though, and I'll be off just 12 days from now - and I still haven't taken the time to really wander through my copy of Hawaii The Big Island Revealed. I know where I'm going and where I'm staying, but I need to make a list of those hidden gems, places that I don't want to miss as I'm wandering. The volcano is not really cooperating so I doubt that I'll see any active flows, but I still plan to do some hiking in the park. Wandering around the South Point area is definitely on my list. And then there is the area south of Hilo and Pololu Valley on the north end of the island. Somehow I don't think I am going to run out of sights to see!