Denise Goldberg's blog

An experience on two feet instead of two (bicycle) wheels
Denise's 2004 adventures in Hawaii

Friday, October 22, 2004

Travel, travel, and more travel

There are days when I wish I could be like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, and this is one of those days. If only I could click my heels together and say "there's no place like Hawaii, there's no place like Hawaii" , and instantly be transported there. OK, OK, I know - Dorothy's word (and wish) was home, but today mine is Hawaii.

What a nice touch... I arrived at Logan Airport early, and when I walked in to the building my initial thought was that I was in the wrong place. This usually teeming airport was empty! I checked in, wandered over to Starbucks to get a decaf Americano, and then headed for the gate. As I walked down the hallway to the gate area I was attracted to the rocking chairs lining the windows. Ah, a good place to kick back and relax before the first of my long flights. I know, I know - sometimes a long flight is the price to pay for a visit to paradise. It will be a long day with a 6 hour flight to LA, a 3 hour layover, and then a 5 and a half hour flight to Kona. I'm looking forward to the smell and touch of Hawaii as I leave the plane and walk down steps in Kona.

For anyone who is worried - yes, I am wearing my RoadID. No worries here...

Above the clouds...
Ah, the magic of flight. It was gray and rainy in Boston this morning. That's gone now. At 35,000 feet the sky is blue, the sun is shining, and the clouds are beneath us. Nice change. If the weather is nice when I arrive in Los Angeles, maybe I'll find some place to walk outside. I suspect there isn't a convenient walking track near or around LAX, but getting outside for at least part of my layover there seems like a good idea to me. And tell me, why is it that airports don't devote some space to those of us who want to take advantage of otherwise empty time to get some exercise in?

Los Angeles
A walk outside definitely felt good after that cross-country flight. One more long jaunt across the Pacific Ocean to go - and yes, I still wish I could manage a Dorothy. There's no place like Hawaii...