Denise Goldberg's blog

An experience on two feet instead of two (bicycle) wheels
Denise's 2004 adventures in Hawaii

Sunday, September 19, 2004

A volcano watch, or what is Kilauea up to?

I've been keeping an eye on the volcanic activity in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. I'm hoping that there will be some active lava within walking distance, but based on the daily updates from the Hawaii Volcano Observatory, I'm not holding my breath. It seems that the volcano is hiding its small amount of activity in locations that may be difficult for me to reach. It also sounds like the little activity out there is nicely visible at the edges of the daylight, but I'm not going to walk on the very uneven (and sharp) volcanic surface without sufficient light to see where I'm heading.

The park is beautiful with or without active lava flowing, and I still plan to spend some time wandering about by foot.

f
Although the volcano was quiet on my visit there in 2003, there was some active lava.